Translate

Tuesday 24 September 2013

A 2nd journey around my garden....

Hello World :)
 
Today I thought I would take you another wee trip around my garden, showing my most favourite flower.....Sunflowers.  The Sunflower is such a great size, perfect colour and follows the sun making it sunshine in the garden even when there is none, I cannot help but smile when I look at them.
 
This year was the most successful year we have had with one reaching at least 11-12 feet high!!  We grow our Sunflowers from the seeds from the heads of the plants we have grown the year before, this is how we get our Marigolds as well.  Year on year they are just getting bigger and brighter.
 
The Marigolds seemed to attract alot of butterflies this year which I was very pleased about.

Even the Marigolds were big, they were so lovely and bright.

A few of the best heads, some from the bright yellow Marigolds and some from the orange ones.  these will be stored ready for using the seeds next year.  I am not a proper gardener so I know that this is probably not the best way to do it but it has worked for us now for the last few years.......should probably get a book!!
 
Loads and Loads of little Sunshine's.


Just perfect!!
 


 
 

Are they not just gorgeous and so really big.  The one right in the centre is massive, they are up against a 6 foot fence so that gives you an idea of the actual size.  Some of these pictures were taken at the end of June and the most recent which just show the heads were taken a few days ago before we took them down and prepared for autumn getting the heads away to dry so that the seeds can be used next year.
 
It was also a great year for the cactus.  Last year I got a fantastic tip from a friend of mine, he keeps his Cactus in the greenhouse in the summer as this is always really hot.  So this year I did the same and I cannot believe just how much they have grown, it is a noticeable difference.
 
So this is them in June, they had already been in the greenhouse since mid April and I wish that I had taken a picture then as they had even grown a bit since then.


 And this is them just a few days ago.


Total Wow!! I was only slightly disappointed that they didn't flower, I may have to get a Cactus of the flowering variety for next year.
 
Happy Gardening!!
 
Amanda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment