Translate

Thursday 26 September 2013

A final journey around my fruity garden.....

Morning!!
 
So almost the weekend and this means freedom for most from the daily ritual of work allow us time to get our creative hats on.
 
With it being so cold now in the morning you can definitely feel the change of season.  I am loving it, love being all cosy in the house when things are not quite so lovely outside anymore.  
 
So to remember the hot days of summer I am going to share with you the fruity side of my garden.  I had a great year this year fruit wise, strawberries were amazing and they just did not stop coming, think even my family were sick of eating them!! blueberries were lovely and I had a huge crop of those as well which was fab.  The rhubarb started rubbish but ended up being great, I didn't get any cherries this year from the tree but I had some lovely apples and plums galore. 
 
Food made from your very own fruit just picked is just amazing and it really doesn't get any better.



The plums only really ripened within the last couple of weeks but tasted great as a crumble and on my sisters sponge cake.


This was the 4th harvest of strawberries, they were really lovely and don't need much care really at all when growing them. Really easy for people like myself who want to grow their own things but cant quite keep things alive.


Made with apples from my tree & some Rhubarb also from the garden.
Also going to be a crumble.  The fruit is mixed with some Cassis and sugar before being topped with the crumble mix and little dabs of butter.
 
As I had so much fruit this year and after dishing out to family still had loads left, I decided to freeze what I had left.  I mostly just use it for crumble anyway so all I did was wash and prepare then pop in little plastic containers.  It is going to be great to still get that garden freshness in my winter crumbles.

Finally as promised, not everything went well I also had a disaster, this was supposed to be a tomato plant.  It started really well but I either over watered it or didn't water it enough or it was too hot in the greenhouse.  The fact I am not sure what went wrong proves that I don't actually have the green fingers people think I do lol.

As you can see a couple of solitary tomato's, they didn't quite make it.
So from fresh garden trees to man-made Birthday Trees.  It was my birthday in July and my Sister bought me a lollies tree, it is awesome and the first time I had seen one.......


Isn't it just gorgeous?  I may try my hand at this for Xmas gifts instead of the usual box of roses.
 
Happy Crafty Gardening!!
 
Amanda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment