Translate

Sunday 22 September 2013

Step by Step Caramel Sauce....

Morning All
 
Day 3 of my new blogging schedule.  I am back!!
 
Now as you all know from previous posts, if you are a regular visitor that is!! I cannot cook or make things at all really but I do try and usually end up burning water!!  However, this is my new thing, Caramel Sauce.  
 
When I saw this being made I thought, no way!! there is no way I will get that right, no matter how easy it looks, its boiling sugar, split second timing and ends with a foaming creamy mess!  So obviously I had to give it a go and it is so so easy, just a few ingredients and although it has a fridge life of up to three weeks, its so so yummy it wont last that long, believe me!
 
Actual Recipe
 
300g Caster Sugar
70ml Water
310ml Cream
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
 
What I used (I always tweak recipes to suit myself which is probably why things never work!! This recipe was actually really thick, whereas the actual recipe is a much more saucy consistency which means doesn't have to be heated to pour)
 
1 1/2 cups Caster Sugar
3 tablespoons Water
1 1/4 cups Cream
3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
 
Method

Pop the sugar and the water into a pan and heat till the sugar is dissolved, do not stir, can take anywhere between 5-10min's and there's nothing for it but to watch.

Once dissolved, increase the heat but again do not stir, just swirl the mixture.  Again being careful as this is really hot at this point.

Continue to swirl till the mixture turns a chestnut colour which is slightly darker than this.  This can take 5-7 min's and once it starts to turn colour it can be a really really quick process.

Once you have the chestnut colour, working fast, turn off the heat and add the cream and vanilla essence.

The sugar mixture will turn solid and it will all start to foam.  Do not panic!! pop the pan back on the ring on a low low heat, stirring all the time.

The mixture will foam right up, just keep stirring.

The foaming will start to subside and the mixture will be all incorporated together and will still be quite liquid at this point.

Allow the mixture to cool slightly before pouring into your glass container.

Allow to cool before putting a lid on or covering and placing in the fridge, this can take a few hours.  After this time you will notice it will be considerably more thick and sauce like.  It will keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge and can be heated in a microwave to make a hot caramel sauce for cake or ice cream. 
 
It looks fab once in a Jar or fancy dish for serving or as a gift.
I really hope you do have a go at this and I would love to see some results or ideas on what you have used your sauce for.
 
Happy Baking!!
 
Amanda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment