Translate

Wednesday 18 April 2012

How to Handcover Buttons in Fabric

Evening All

I have today again had a day of chatting on the PC, procrastinating to stop me having to do the ironing which I did eventually do, and it does feel better getting things like that out of the way.

So I made some buttons, yip me, I made buttons!! I cant quite believe how easy it was.  I got some free buttons with a magazine, one of those free things that you just file away and was reminded I had them yesterday and thought well whats the harm in trying?

These are the type of buttons that I used, so reasonable and you can then match them with your handmade cushions, your handmade fabric brooches, or handmade garments.  No reason not to have the perfectly matching button ever again!! 


The buttons come in acrylic or metal and snap fasten.  You get the big top part that is covered and a small grip part to snap on keeping the fabric in place;


You don't need a HUGE piece of fabric, just the remnants or scraps from your project will do nicely;


Simply cut a rough circle of your chosen fabric, enough to cover the button top & base;


Do a loose tacking type stitch round the edge;


Place the button in the centre and pull the stitch tight, this will gather the fabric around the button hole post, all you do then is do a couple more stitches around the centre and do a finishing knot so that the stitches do not come loose;


To complete the button simply snap the button grip onto the bottom, this will keep the fabric and stitches in place and give a neat finish;


The completed buttons, I am actually pleased with the finished product and they will look great on a finished piece of beige or tan garment/cushion or brooch;



I'm not the best at sewing but I did these in about 20 mins, and I will definitely do my own buttons now rather than buy them.

Enjoy the rest of your night crafters,

Amanda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment