Translate

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Crochet

Hey Peeps

What a shocking day today weather wise, rain rain rain!! 

So there was nothing else for it, it was a day for housework and crochet.  Relaxed in front of the TV and managed to complete 2 panels for a large patch crochet blanket.


This is the rest of the squares that I have ready, there is still a big bag of wool to go but theres no rush, that's the good thing about crochet, its so relaxing.




Crochet is a very inexpensive pass time to take up, all you need are crochet hooks, yarn and a few good tutorials.  I have looked through many a tutorial to see if I can increase my crochet menu from just doing "granny squares". 

The best tutorial for beginners is this one http://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/magic-ring-right-handed/  there is also a list down the right hand side of this ladies blog which say "crochet" and this takes you to patterns etc.  I find it much easier to learn if I am following pictures.

This is a hook, you can find these in various sizes for beginners it is best to use a 5mm and as you get better then you can move down the sizes, you can also see that these were literally pounds and pence, no expense at all.


Here are some of the blankets that I have completed; this pink one was for my partners niece and was quite big!


These were blankets that were smaller and were for new babies;


I made my sister a blanket that was just a bit bigger than a single bed size as a keepsake, something that she can pass down to any children she may have.  I used loads of different coloured panels to which I attached various Disney Character patches, these squares are great for using up all the odds and ends of wool that you collect;


I also have sock blankets that I have just in case anyone has a baby but usually I offer them as blankets for girls prams as there are so many nice knitted patterns for baby blankets, the blanket below is my favourite one and was made with coloured wool that I received free with a magazine, I just added a ball of white wool and some fluffy wool to edge it;


Crochet & Knitting are becoming a more popular pastime, in times where money is short, and handmade makes a great gift or keepsake, its a great time to learn.  Time is so precious to all of us and so something someone has taken the time to sit and create is special, whether it be for a new baby, or an older member of your family, this is definitely something that should be tried and can be done anywhere, I used to do this on the train to and from work as I worked different shifts and the trains were quiet.  A ball of wool and a hook can fit in most handbags!

Sending you all crafty woolly hugs,

Amanda xx




No comments:

Post a Comment