Translate

Friday 4 May 2012

Making Oragami Boxes

Happy Friday!!

Hope everyone is looking forward to a lovely long weekend? 

My day started with a disastrous driving lesson, the words "mock test" were uttered and I just went to pieces, does not bode well for the actual real thing!!

I spent the afternoon deciding what crafty thing to get up to.  When looking at my new size souffles and thinking about presentation and packaging I decided that I wanted to have them in a box wrapped in cello with a bow.  As they are small, kinda like the chill pill size of bath bombs, I think this will make them more appealing as a gift purchase, something that someone would like to give to someone else rather than sell them individually in a paper bag or in an organza bag like how the chill pills are sold.

Boxes can be a further expense which I would have to pass onto the customer and therefore my prices would be more expensive so I thought about making them myself. 

It turns out this origami malarkey is much easier and neater and quicker than I thought that it would be, considering that the only thing origami I can make is a crane, I was pleasantly surprised. 

Cranes are what Chinese people give to each other as a sign of friendship, I make them out of any scrap I have lying around usually bus/train tickets & receipts, just as long as it is square, they always turn out lovely and for something so simple kids are usually in awe. 

My friend is my origami guru, he make the most amazing things out of paper, it is an exact and precise art form and takes so much patience.  It was only with his tuition on many free periods at school that I was eventually able to master the crane.

This is a picture of a window display that I passed in New York made with paper cranes;


So the boxes I made look fab and are perfect for the baby souffles, they are so easy to make and you can alter the sizes dependent on what you want to put in them.  Altering the sizes takes a bit of practise but I managed it after making only 3 boxes and now know that the paper size I need is 10"x10".

As these boxes are origami you do not need to use tape or glue, but due to what I will be using them for I may line them with that clear sticky back plastic, the stuff that you would use to cover kids schoolbooks with.  This will provide a nice support for holding the weight of the souffles and also protect the paper if any oil seeps through the base;


These are the boxes I made earlier using a good quality scrapbook paper, the first was using the whole sheet at 12"x12" for the lid and then cutting a sheet to 11.5"x11.5" for the base;



The 2nd box uses the same sizes of paper but for both the lid & the base I used the lid folds so the boxes fit inside each other rather than having the tall base;



These boxes are great but they are not the right size, they are slightly too big and it is just the bottom half of the box I require, so for the right size I used a piece of paper 10"x10";





I will be filling the souffle cases tomorrow in preparation for the "Granny Would Be Proud" market on Sunday.  I am not quite sure how many boxes I will need till this is done but it is honestly so easy to make them and takes no time at all that I am confident that these can be ready in time.

If you want to see the exact stages in making the boxes please visit "howto-oragami.com" by clicking on the link below;


Have a great weekend

Much love

Amanda x

No comments:

Post a Comment