Translate

Saturday 12 May 2012

Felt Berry Brooches & Friends Cards

Happy Friday

I had loads of new things delivered from Create & Craft the other day, some lovely new card making kits.  There are now quite a few building up in my Craft Room AKA the Dining Room, the only thing is I cant bare to use them as they are just so nice.  So, while I sat trying to decide which one to start making up, my eyes fell on my big pile of craft mags.

I subscribe to Craftseller, Quick Cards and Cardmaking & Papercraft, as do quite a few crafters no doubt.  They always have free things with them, papers, chipboard's, sewing projects etc. and I NEVER EVER use them.  I have challenged myself now to go through all my mags and use the free papers and anything else that they have in them before I start on my new kits from C&C, this could take a while, but it has to be done!

This is such a great challenge as it will use up all my little bits of ribbon, papers, card, chipboard's, stickers, rub-ons etc that I have in my stash, things that just build up and take up space, things that are not easy to tidy up and just look messy.  I think this will work out great, using up all my scraps and tidying up at the same time...................bonus!!

My first task was this months Craftseller.  In the magazine we were given a free brooch kit, in this there was some felt, some wadding, buttons, ribbon, thread, needle and brooch backs.

There was enough to make up three strawberry shaped brooches.  Firstly I cut the felt & wadding to size, I sewed the brooch backs on, then I sewed the wadding and one felt piece together by doing the seed detail, once this was done it was easier to sew the two pieces of felt together.  Once I got to the top, I folded the ribbon and kept this & the felt leaf in place with the lovely heart shaped button.

I am actually really pleased how they turned out, if you know me you will know that I am not a fan of sewing anything, too fiddly!!

I then picked up this months edition of Quick Cards.  The freebie this month was a set of stamps, some lovely papers and chipboard's.  In addition to this I used from my stash some card blanks, some ribbon scraps, a pack of rub-ons, some pre-coloured stamped images that you have seen in previous blogs, a Staz-On pad, some sparkly gems, Pastel Promakers, vinyl cut-out, double sided tape, glue dots & foam pads.

This card is simply a plain white card blank, a piece of aqua card cut down and inked around the edges with a purple Pastel Promarker.  A piece of ribbon was fixed around the aqua card using glue dots, a ribbon was added through the chipboard tag and this was fixed to the aqua card with foam pads to give some height.  I then used a rub-on for the lettering and attached the aqua card to the card blank with double sided tape.
I used one of the bonus papers from the magazine, cut to size and attached to the card with double sided tape.  I then layered the cake stand on a piece of aqua card which was inked around the edge with a aqua promarker and attached to the card with double sided tape, the big birthday cake and one of the sundaes were added with tape also.  To add depth the flowers, cupcake, sentiment, sweetie and one of the sundaes were added to the card with foam pads.  A small rub-on was also added.

I have used more of the aqua card and backing papers from the magazine for this one.  I have inked around the edge of the orange and the aqua card with matching Promarkers, this just gives a nice finish to the pieces of card.  The cups and teapot have been decoupaged to give depth.  I have added some black sparkles to compliment the rub-ons that have been used and just links everything together.



I love this selection of cards, they really show off the quality of the free bonus papers, a simple ribbon, tiny chipboard and a rub-on creates such a simple fresh basic finish.

I have added a strip of sticky back pre punched vinyl down this card, it comes in a roll and there is loads.  I actually bought this from someone who was having a destash, didn't have a clue what I would use it for but just shows that you can use up anything you have collected in your stash.
This card has punched out flowers on here also aswell as some sticky gems just to finish and to tie in the ribbon, the black picks up the colours on the chipboard's aswell.


All of these images on these last three cards are sparkly chipboard pieces, apologies for the rubbish pictures but the lighting isn't that great at night and its really just so you could see the amount of things that can be made from one magazines freebies.  Even I am amazed, plus there is still a few sheets of lovely pretty pink paper left which I will use tomorrow.  I am going to look at last months magazines now and see what the theme was and dig out some bits from my stash to match.
Hopefully I will be able to put together some more lovely cards.  The pictures actually don't do them any justice, they are lovely,. vibrant colours, sparkles, and the texture of the ribbons pull them altogether, such a nice wee batch of cards which have cost next to nothing to make.
I am going to enjoy being a thrifty crafter, at least till I get through all my magazines and stashes anyway.
Please feel free to share any crafty money savers that you have, I would love to hear them...........inspire me!
Happy Crafting
Amanda x

No comments:

Post a Comment