Translate

Thursday 24 May 2012

Starting an Oil Painting

Hey All

What do you think of this weather eh! how amazing, I thought one good day, great, but that's nearly a full week of what can only be described as awesome weather.  I love it but my furries have had everything from wee basins with ice in it to fans to showers to try and keep them cool, its so hard to know when they are fine and when they are too hot, such a fine line between them, I have practically lived in their wee shed with them over the last two days.

As you can imagine the hot weather has meant that I haven't really done much on the crafting front, I have spent the days in the garden enjoying the peace and the sunshine.  Thought I would show you my lovely Sunflowers & Marigolds all planted, I cannot wait to see them in bloom, they are such lovely smiley sunshine colours!!

Sunflowers & Marigolds
These are just sunflowers, right down the side of the front fence



















However, I have finished the pink square for my crochet blanket, the one I started weeks ago and put away to be forgotten about.  I crochet like mad for days then just leave it for weeks then go back to it, I might be finished my blanket for the wintertime................maybe!! 

I also had another wee play around with Professional Craft Artist just to try out some of the tips that Phill showed on Create & Craft last week.  It was great actually just something as simple as using the type box to get all the writing the same size instead of doing each individual letter like I was attempting to do and also how to group things, total genius!


I have also started a new oil painting, great weather for it as the paint have been drying quickly so I started it yesterday and was able to work on it today and its already dried enough for me to work on it a little more tomorrow.  It really doesn't look like a work of art at the moment but I promise it will be OK when its done.  I am using a friends photograph as the subject, such a great composition and has loads going on;

Its the first proper challenge I have given myself art-wise for many years.  I have done a couple of oils now just to see how I would get on and love working with it, its just such a nice medium, so different from watercolours or acrylics.  In this painting I am also going to try a different technique from using just brushes and use the craft palette knife, I have a set of 8 different shapes, these are like mini trowels, some have pointy tips, others square tips and a few with rounded ends, they all give different effects which I think will be exciting!

So here's the first two days worth of the painting and I will post pictures as it develops over the next few weeks;
Drawing of the basic shapes & positioning

Putting down the basic background colours

Blending all the basic background colours to remove the white and give a base for me to paint on

Staring to put down some detail and the proper colours, only done some of the top half of the painting

Close up of some of the detail colour so far, loads of work still to do here though

And that's it folks, that's what I have been up to.  Obviously art is something that is a bit hit & miss some people like things that other people hate, so I know my wee interpretation of this picture will not be everyone's cup of tea.  Also, I do paint alot differently to the professionals, I am self taught and have had no tuition on how to do what, I paint in the way that I am comfortable with, basically its all about feeling.  If you are looking to know exactly what colours to use with what, what paintbrushes to use to create a specific effect etc. there are loads of books or DVDs available.  The best place to research is the SAA, The Society For All Artists, http://www.saa.co.uk/

Painting is one of the most relaxing things that you can do and as there is no right or wrong there should be no stress, after all whats the worst that can happen.  You paint a wrong brush stroke, you wait till the paint is dry and paint over it to correct, easy.  Everyone should give it a go, you don't have to be able to draw to paint and you don't really have to be able to paint to paint, its just a way to express yourself, pick a colour to represent how you feel & off you go, create a lovely abstract masterpiece to be proud of.  I can guarantee you will be hooked!

Can you believe its nearly the weekend?  We have put up our wee Spa in the hope that this hot weather continues.  My Mr & I are hoping to have a BBQ and relax in the spa with lovely glass of something inc. lashings of ice, it is so nice to make time to spend with your nearest and dearest.

This is the spa, brolly at the ready, strawberries and the greenhouse in the background, oh and that's my lil' Sox cat, one of my babies
Well bedtime it is, I will keep you posted with any crafty feats that I attempt, feel free to post any hints & tips that you have in the comments, I love to hear other peoples crafty ideas.

Happy Crafting!!

Amanda x

No comments:

Post a Comment