Translate

Wednesday 13 March 2013

Postcard - Wizard Of Oz

Hello Bloggers
 
Mid week means "Hump Day", all downhill till the weekend.
 
So this months postcard swaps theme is Wizard Of Oz.  This is one of my all time favourite films and so I thought I would find this really easy but the fact is, it was probably the hardest out the themes this month.
 
I tried alot of different techniques on this and I am not 100% convinced that they all work that well together.
 
The background was done in watercolour pencil and washed out with a damp paintbrush, this was really just to get rid of the harsh white of the card and give a general feeling of where the sky and land are.
 
I then used a Versamark Pen to add lines of Green Glitter Embossing Powder, this is to give the idea of the Emerald City in the distance. 
 
I covered everything with a coat of Clear Ultra Thick Embossing Powder.  I then added another layer of this but sprinkled in some Gold Mica Flakes to give the magical shine of the yellow brick road.
 
This was all then popped in the freezer, taken back out and cracked enough just to flatten it all out.  I then rubbed a sparkly gold ink pad into the cracks just to age and sparkle.
 
The yellow brick road was made by using gilding flakes on sticky black plastic then cutting road shaped pieces from Gold Mirri Card.  The Mirri Card was attached to the flake background with double sided tape and then to the card with 3D glue gel.


For the characters I decided to use stamps.  I had a look online for some actual rubber stamps but couldn't see any that I wanted, the vintage ones are gorgeous but outwith my price range at the moment and so I decided on digi stamps.  These are fab as it means they can be resized, printed perfectly every time and also used in conjunction with Serif Digital Craft Artist.
 
I managed to get a really lovely set from Spesch Stamps designed by Max and I love his interpretation of the characters, they were great to colour.  As I was using them in such a small size I coloured using watercolour pencils in pastels & metallic.
 
If you like digi stamps the website below is a fab and well worth a look -
 


Finally, I just attached them to a new postcard which was inked around the edges using a green ink pad, I added gems and peel-offs.
 
 
 
Not sure how I feel about them but they are done and I tried lots of techniques so I guess that's what it is all about at the end of the day.
 
I cannot wait to see what the rest of the group have done, this is the exciting bit.
 
Happy Crafting,
 
Amanda xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment